Choose Polyurethane for Sealing Needs
The Benefits of Polyurethane Elastomers
Whether you manufacture automobile parts and components, medical devices, or liquid coatings, polyurethane may be the right choice for your application.
The many benefits of polyurethane include:
- Good permeability
- High abrasion, cut, and tear resistance
- Higher hardness rating than natural rubber (and more load bearing capacity)
- Ability to perform in harsh environments
- Resistant to mold, mildew, and fungus growth
- Thermal resistance up to 180° F/82° C
- Cold flexibility down to -40° F/-40° C
- Economical manufacturing process
Because of its low cost, polyurethane can be used for a variety of applications, including those that require resistance to pure aliphatic hydrocarbons (like propane or fuel), mineral oil, silicone oil, and grease. The EU elastomers can be used for water applications up to 125° F/50° C. Polyurethane also offers ozone and aging resistance.
Take note that polyurethane is not compatible with:
- Hot water (above 125° F/50° C, per above)
- Acids and alkalis